Thursday, September 19, 2013

What a Jerk!

I've recently gotten a new job, and dealing with some difficult people is nothing new to me. I've learned to channel my energy into more productive things. When I first started my previous job serving coffee, six and a half years ago, sometimes I'd be driven to tears but very quickly I started a tactic of being so very nice that it was impossible to be mean to me. This week I've decided to focus some of that energy into making the best beef jerky! Paleoized, of course.

I got a brand new dehydrator (pics to come) for my birthday thanx to my AWESOME Mom and Life Coach, Mari Mitchell Porter  I couldn't be happier to FINALLY get to use it! I have big plans for this awesome new tool.
I have no pictures of the finished project because Scott, my friends and family and I ate it all before I remember to take a picture. Woops! next time. 

Avoid the jerks, jerky.

What you're going to need:
1 1/2- 2 lbs flank steak
A food dehydrator
1/3 cups coconut Aminos
1/2 grapefruit (juiced)
1 Orange (zest and juice)
2-3 cloves of garlic
Sharp serrated knife
1 gallon size zip-top bag

Slice the meat into thin 1/8in slivers. Whatever size makes you happy. The thinner the slice the crispier the jerky and the more favorful. Set aside.

Blend everything (juice, amions, garlic) together in your Nutribullet, or any blender you have, or just with a whisk.  
Put your marinade and the sliced meat into the zip-top bag and let sit over night.
Next day, lay the marinated meat in dehydrator and let dry for 8-10hours. 

**be sure that its fully dry, you can test pieces after about 8 hours otherwise yucky bacteria can form**

What do you guys do to release the stress of a crazy day, or week? Perhaps next time you're feeling like the day is getting to you, you too will make some Jerky. Let me know how yours comes out. 
I would have added ginger but I didn't have any, but the next batch will! I'll  be sure to tell you about it on my Instagram and Twitter. Don't forget to follow me if you haven't already. 

Happy Jerky-ing!




No comments:

Post a Comment